Making Good on a Promise

⊆ Saturday, March 28, 2009 by Donia | , , , . | ˜ 0 comments »

Round about Christmas time (ok, it was actually on Christmas, there was no round-abouting about it) i gave my mom a present. Actually, it was a picture of a present that i intended to give her.


When my brother saw that she was receiving a postcard with a picture of said intended present, he groaned a little, recalling the year i presented all of the family with booklets of "i owe you" coupons to be redeemed at my discretion. I assured him that this was different. What our dear momma held in her hands would indeed manifest itself in the very near future...and now that time has come!!!

So, what was the picture of, you ask?

A Composter, of course!

Our family has been composting in more free-form kind of way until now. We have had bins that do not rotate, piles of compostables along the wooded edge of our property, and have contributed to more official compost piles of others.

I have been researching different compost bins - both ready-made and DIY. But it wasn't until a couple weeks ago that i had my composty "Aha" moment...

it came by way of this...

Do you remember me talking about this little gem of a volume as part of my wish-list from Acres USA? You can refresh your memory here...

Wishes do come true (music swells in the background)!!!! A few weeks ago our dear friend Cecilia gifted me this volume while expressing her love and admiration for the denizens of the ground beneath our feet (and houses, gardens, parking lots, etc.)

In reading Stewart's book, my own admiration for the wormy-sort grew tremendously. They are an extraordinary sort - the real movers, shakers, and sculptors of the planet. Feats quite extraordinary for a critter that is deaf, dumb, and blind.

The Earth Moved was surprisingly engaging. It drew me in and left me wondering about soil and what lies beneath all day. Stewart's enthusiasm and knowledge are contagious. This is true especially when she speaks of the worms she has at home. The ones she has come to know and love. The ones in her......................

WORM COMPOSTER! (of course i added red for dramatic effect. Red Wigglers are more often than not the resident of choice in ye ole' worm composter.)


The worm-composting world is pretty darn enormous. I am digging through slowly. But we are getting a worm composter. Hope my mom likes it. And soon these hands will be mine...


0 Responses to Making Good on a Promise

= Leave a Reply